Thursday, October 16, 2008

Do you see what I see?

Previously, I wrote an article entitled Explosive Opportunities, that discussed my prediction that there would soon be numerous opportunities to buy very affordable homes and perhaps one's dream home over the next few years.  I've decided to write a follow up to expand upon what I previously said. 

Do you see what I see? Lately, I've been discussing where we may want to purchase a home with my wife. It's actually a tough decision because the housing market has dropped by such a large amount that cities that were previously unaffordable are now becoming within reach. As a result, we've decided to be very calculated in terms of our decision of what to buy.

On the one hand, there may be an opportunity to purchase a home and have a very small mortgage payment which is definitely preferable. This would afford us the opportunity to enjoy higher quality of life, save more money and concentrate on retirement planning. At the same time we're mindful that once the market recovers, not all areas will increase in value by the same rate. Some areas will increase by large percentages compared to neighboring cities that may soon be very close in price. So the challenge ahead is to balance how much to spend versus buying in cities where one will get the largest return on investment (ROI).

If you don't currently own a home than you potentially share in our plight; however, I would caution you not to take the decision lightly. There is no crystal ball that can predict the future, and no way to guarantee that the purchase you make will yield the intended result. That being said, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!! Do your homework before running head long into one of the biggest financial decisions one can make.

No comments: